Note: When editing this page, please provide adequate references on information about leaks, news, etc. If none are provided, your edit will be reverted.
There has been word that there may or may not be a sequel from information from many different sources. While id Software is working on Doom 4, the development studio has already planned to do a sequel for RAGE.
In an interview with IGN, co-founder John Carmack stated that he plans to do a sequel to RAGE after Doom 4 ships. "We're about to roll the whole core tech team over to Doom", Carmack said, when asked what lessons the studio learned from developing RAGE. "After Rage certifies, the heavily-lifting code team will be migrating over to do new systems [for the Doom team]."
"Building up the new team has been challenging to bring that many new people in and bring them up to speed", he added. "We're going to migrate more of the RAGE 2 team people, and then we're going to roll onto RAGE 2."
In 2013, ZeniMax Media cancelled any and all projects related to RAGE 2 in order to "speed up progress on Doom 4". This could mean that we may not be seeing RAGE 2 for quite some time.
However, on August 4th, 2013, RAGE co-founder Tim Willits mentioned Rage 2 is "Not Dead, "We're not doing anything immediately with it, but when I designed the universe, I designed it in such a way that it would be easy to step back into. I'm still proud that we did something that was different – it wasn't like the games that we've done in the past."
- There is an Easter egg in RAGE. During one of the missions in Dead City Central a poster can be seen with "50% less on Rage 2, Doom 5!" on it.
- At E3 2011, It was revealed that RAGE 2 may be released sometime after Doom 4.
- Some rumors suggest that RAGE 2 might be released on the next generation consoles, as well as the XBOX 360 and PS3.
- In an interview with John Carmack, he said that he was "very excited with what hes doing with RAGE 2".
- John Carmack recently left id Software, in order to pursue virtual reality. It is unknown how big of a role Carmack played in the development of RAGE 2, but this may have a permanent affect on the release of the game.
- ZeniMax Media, the owner of id Software, recently cancelled RAGE 2, ordering id to finish Doom 4. This, however, could possibly be temporary.